Monday, October 11, 2010

Tattoo Dreams VS Tattoo Discrimination

     I never really thought of about getting hand tattoo before, until now. I searched 'google image's for palm tattoos out of curiosity... and as the images loaded and as the "Marching Bands of Manhattan ", buffered simultaneously, I knew I wanted a tattoo of something Death Cab For Cutie. A pretty crazy image of a girl with a "LIVE LONG AND PROSPER" tattoo on her hand kinda stuck out. I already mentioned the word crazy in the sentence before, and that's exactly what I was thinking at first, but then I thought that I could maybe see myself getting a tattoo of a Death Cab For Cutie lyric in the same retrospect and am actually considering which one.

     I've been chewing over the tattoo idea for a couple years now but haven't been entirely sure but, do have a couple ideas as to which ones if any. I am probably going to run with this idea (not necessarily on the hand but probably somewhere.) Another strong possibility is the Stairway to Heaven album art (left in yellow outline) on one side or the other of my back and if I have that, then there probably will be no doubt that I will then have some kind of Beatles lyrics to add as well... probably "Let it be." There are a couple others but, I do think if I can figure up an idea for a really unique peace sign design, that will probably launch to the top of the list. Suggestions are welcome.

   Because I still haven't pinpointed which direction I wish to go as far as career goes, this could arguably bring up tattoo acceptance in the work place. I am not a person who likes to hide many things. At times I may even be too open, but that's just me. So with the tattoo idea, I do not want to have to 'hide' any of my potential body art. Tattoos are about self expression and shouldn't be hindered because of job restrictions. There is one particular case involving, Marine Corps and Firefighter veteran, Christopher Piggott, who was fired from Wood County Sheriff’s Office in West Virginia, on April 15th 2010 because of his forearm tattoo (right). The man served two tours in Iraq and faces discrimination after fighting for the very lives he still wishes to protect. Join the facebook groups to show support for this Marine!
 Two more sites containing petition details are included below.

Petition to End Discrimination Against Visible Tattoos in the Workplace
Tattoo Acceptance in the Workplace - Petition Site


Stairway to Heaven LIVE

No comments:

Post a Comment